Tonight I sat on the edge of Blake's bed snuggling Clayton in my arms, wrapped in his favorite blanket and rocked him. I steered away from the usual bedtime songs, Old MacDonald and Here comes the Oxcart (Blake's odd favorite Primary song. His reason is that he can sing the whole thing by himself without any help.)
The boys laid completely still as I sang sweet Christmas lullabies to them. I was enjoying the quiet moment together, in the chaos of our recent/present move. I loved how Clayton just stared up into my eyes as I sang and the feel of Blake's little leg under the blanket. Before long, a couple songs had turned into a never ending melody of quiet, sweet messages of the Savior's birth. Clayton drifted off to sleep, snuggled against my chest. It surprised me to think of how long it has been since I've actually rocked him to a full sleep. I figured Blake was also asleep, so I slipped gently off the bed to place Clayton in his bed.
Blake's little eyes popped open at the sound of silence and he quietly begged, "Please keep singing, Mama..." I was so honored that he wanted to listen to me.
Of course I laid next to him...nearly nose to nose, and continued my seamless lullaby. It was only a few moments later that he too drifted off to sleep.
My eyes filled with tears as I looked between the faces of my beautiful little angels. My heart brims with gratitude that I should be so blessed. I want to hold these tender moments of motherhood close to my heart forever and always be able to bless those closest to me with the gift of song.
I have so much to be thankful for this holiday season. I am so blessed.
10 years ago
What a sweet and loving story. You have always had such a beautiful voice. Hopefully your boys will grow up to be singers too!
ReplyDelete