Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hole in the Rock, March 18-22nd, 2011


We had a great time Jeeping the Hole in the Rock Trail in Southern Utah. I had never been on this trail before, even though it has been a long time tradition for Warren's family. It is a Mormon Pioneer trail that Claudia's Great-great Grandfather (I think) helped lead. It is amazing to see the difficult rocky pathways the pioneer's created and managed to make it up with wagons, handcarts and oxen.
There is definitely a humbling spirit on the trail and we really enjoyed being together as a family.
Alex and Elliot brought Warren's motorcycle and he was such a good sport taking all the little kids on easy rides. It's hard to tell, but that is actually Blake under there.
This was the most amazing view that we saw on the trip. It was incredible! I surprisingly nervous being so close to the edge of the cliff. I felt like just turning around to face the camera would make me fall off. You can tell I am holding on to Blake really tight! I didn't want him out of my sight for a second.
This trip was all about Daddy. Clayton was constantly crying and whining for his Daddy. It was hard for me to even pacify him when he was sad. That made the trip a lot harder on Daddy because he couldn't walk out of Clayton's sight without him getting upset. Clayton would gladly choose Papa, or Uncle Elliot and Alex over me at any time.
I guess he's just a man's man. I'll try not to let it hurt my feelings:(
"Raise your hand if you love Daddy!"
Clayton's new trick is to raise one hand like this. The other day, Daddy asked, "Who made this mess?!" Up went that little hand. It was so funny.
Alexa and Brooke were such cute little friends
We spent a lot of time in Elliot's Explorer going over really bumpy roads.
The kids didn't seem to mind much.
Born to be WILD!
The high-light of Clayton's trip was definitely the motorcycle ride Daddy took him on. He was EXTREMELY serious the whole time. Any time he was fussy, we could just sit him on the motorcycle and he would be happy. Now when we ask him what a motorcycle does, he will make "vrooming" sounds and run around the house.
Every day was pretty windy, but the last night and morning were miserable. We held a Testimony meeting on Sunday evening and as soon as we closed with a prayer, the winds picked up and didn't stop. It was so cold, and windy that night. Every time there was a big gust of wind, the sand would whip up into our tent from under the fly and dust everything. MISERABLE! It was quite the challenge getting everything taken down the next morning.
It took 5-6 people just to take down a tent.
We were all so happy when it was finally time to get in the car and drive away.
On the last little stretch of road, Uncle Elliot asked if Blake wanted to drive for a bit. He was a pro at over-correcting. Elliot controlled the foot pedals and Blake steered the wheel all by himself.

It was sad to say goodbye to everyone and be the only ones heading back to Arizona. We ate the only diner in Mexican hat. It was actually really tasty.
It felt SO good to all of us to wash our hands and face in the bathroom.
There was a blizzard as we drove through Flagstaff. It was fun to stop on the side of the road for a minute and play in the snow. I filled up some cups of fresh snow for the boys to eat in the car. They were so happy. All in all, it was a successful, happy camping trip. Every time I go camping, I come home more grateful for the luxuries I get to enjoy every day. I am grateful for a husband that has encouraged me to stretch my limits of comfort. I'm also proud of myself for jumping head first into camping since we've been married. I wasn't raised as much of a camper, but I figure if I'm going to be a mother of boys, I had better join right in with all the stuff boys love...
including dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment