Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Moab April 2010

We just got back from a really fun short week camping and jeeping in Moab. We towed Elliot's Bronco and met up with Miles, Adam's family, and Andrew/Angie. We didn't arrive until dusk and by the time we found a campsite it was pouring rain. Warren and Elliot managed to set up the tent and throw everything in it. It ended up being a nearly sleepless night for Warren and me. I woke up completely soaked from a crack that the rain fly wasn't covering and shivered all night. Despite the cold, it ended up being a perfect camping trip.

The boys fell asleep before anyone else in our group arrived at the campsite, so when Blake woke up to the sound of someone in a neighboring tent snoring, he jostled Warren, saying, "Daddy...I hear a dinosaur!" After he got comfortable and was drifting off to sleep again, he yawned and said, "I sure hope Bear's doing okay!" He was really sad that he couldn't come on this trip.

My favorite day was the first day when we went to Canyonlands National Park. We did the Elephant Hill trail and hiked the Slot canyons. It was so neat to be deep inside the caves and to hike our way up to the most beautiful view.

Amber and Brooke snuggling little Clayton
The hardest thing about the hike was the stress of keeping the kids safe and all in one place together.

Warren drove Elliot's Bronco the rest of the trail with Blake and Ethan kicking the back seats and being very noisy, I'm sure.
Sarah, Brooke, Ethan,
Clayton, and Blake


After two nights we drove closer to Moab and stayed at this amazing campsite. It was tucked up next to a huge rock wall and had a swing in a giant tree. Elliot managed to get on the swing and couldn't get down because Warren kept swinging him. The rope was a few inches longer once he finally got off!
The kids had great appetites because they played so hard.
I always LOVE a good snuggle by the campfire.
On the third night it started raining again and I was pretty cold so I was so happy to have a cup of hot chocolate. (Thanks Elliot) I love this picture of my boys.
Papa Miles loved seeing his grandkids. Clayton and I rode with him on all the trails and I really enjoyed spending time with him. Clayton was an angel and slept at all the right times.
That day we were just happy to have survived an awful trail called "Hell's revenge." It was horrible. I had no idea we were going to be doing such a serious/dangerous trail or I would have stayed back at the camp with the kids. I would have gladly missed out on 4 hours of anxiety. Never again...
I adore this picture! They look so similar and I love Warren's great-big smile.
One of my favorite things is to see Warren spontaneously break into laughter...especially when I am the one to make him laugh. I love to hear him laughing at the tv in another room. Every time I happen to hear him, I can't help but smile.
My snuggly bed buddy
I decided I loved this tent the moment I realized there was the perfect pocket for my favorite lotion.
Clayton was such a happy little camper.
He loved being so close to Mother Earth,
and hugging the trees. He even made his sweet little sigh that he does when he hugs me.
Don't let go, Dada!
He discovered that bark made a nice teething toy until Mama took it away.
This picture capture the essence of EXHAUSTION. The last night, Blake and Ethan didn't talk or move for the half hour it took to get dinner ready. They had spent the day planting sticks and branches to make a "tree garden." After devouring dinner, they got a small second wind until I found them in the tent playing "sleep."
I tell ya, this child is such a joy to be around. Dirty, sticky, cold...you name it and he'll smile through it!
"Smiles"
We really enjoyed listening to Miles play guitar the last night. We usually request the same songs so often that I was amazed to hear some of the quiet, more unfamiliar stuff we don't ever hear. I wanted to just crawl in bed and drift off to sleep. I could listen to that stuff all night!

No comments:

Post a Comment