Monday, June 4, 2012

Tender Moment

I need to post some pictures and for my 3 followers, I promise I will soon. But I just had to post a sweet moment with my boys tonight. I am mostly writing it for me, so it won't hurt my feelings if it's too long to read.

Since little Dylan joined our family, I've enjoyed the quiet moments rocking and singing to him. At night I can see a beautiful view of the valley and the Timpanogos Temple all lit up. It is so beautiful and peaceful.  Having a sweet newborn to snuggle makes it even more wonderful. I love the soft fuzz of his little head against my cheek and his plump little body against mine....It's really priceless.

It has been nice to sing the baby lullabies that I sing to all my babies. It seems that all too soon they grow out of the quiet ones and start requesting things like "Ol' MacDonald" and "Mama Don't let your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys" (A new bedtime request since Grandma's visit. Clayton has made it very clear that he DOES want to grow up to be a cowboy, play guitars, and drive and old trucks.)

When Blake was a baby, I held him in wonder and a new little tune started to form each night as I rocked him. In those quiet moments, when no one else was awake, I wondered if he could ever understand how much I love him. I thought that if he could only learn one thing in his whole life, I would want it to be that I love him. Maybe knowing of my love for him could somehow get him through any trial in this life. I know he'll never fully grasp a glimpse of how much I love him, until he is rocking his own little newborn.

This thought lead me to an even more profound idea of how much our Father in Heaven must love each of us. I've stared into the faces of many newborns, as they make goofy little grins and seem to be phasing easily between sleep and wakefulness. I wonder how much they remember from their home above.

As I put the boys to bed tonight and they requested a bedtime song, I asked Blake if he remembered the song I used to sing to him so much. He shook his head.  It seems that as each of my boys approached the age of two, they stopped wanting any songs that had the word "baby" in it, insisting that they are "NOT A BABY!" with furrowed eyebrows. So tonight, I spoke the words and explained how I was feeling when I wrote them. Blake stroked the top of Dylan's sweet head as I sang and rocked him.

Here are the words to Blake's song...Really my song for each of my babies, but I wrote it when Blake was little.


Sweet Baby of Mine

A new mother holds her tiny baby in her arms and kisses his tender cheeks.
As she snuggles the little bundle, he breathes a sigh of relief.
Words can't express the love in her heart, as she rocks her newborn babe.
She whispers a strong and fervent prayer for this angel that God has made.


Sweet Baby of mine, my dear little one, 
if there's one thing, you know that is true,
Where ever you wander, whatever you do,
Please remember how much I love you.


Do you remember in Heaven above the warmth of your Father's face?
His hand on your cheek, filled with love in that wonderful, holy place?
Heavenly Father knew the harshness of life, when he sent you here below.
He gave you to me, to care for a while, and I promised I'd make sure you know.
He gave you a kiss, and held you close when he said goodbye that day.
If he could tell you just one more time, there is something I know he'd say.


Sweet Baby of mine, my dear little one, 
if there's one thing, you know that is true,
Where ever you wander, whatever you do,
Please remember how much I love you.


A new mother holds her tiny baby in her arms...
Please remember how much I love you.


As I explained and sang the words to the boys, Blake's little lip frowned and his eyes started to fill with tears. I asked him what he was feeling and why he was starting to cry. "Do you feel sad?"
He replied, "No. Your singing is just so beautiful that when I hear it, I want to cry. I'm trying not to."  That of course, filled my eyes with tears. I am in awe every day that these sweet children would be entrusted to my care and I am so grateful! There is nowhere else I'd rather be, nothing else I'd rather do than be with them every day. I wake up every morning happy to be living my dream of being a wife and mother.




No comments:

Post a Comment