Friday, April 2, 2010

January Tree Party 2010

This is what life must be all about....Here is a picture of two people we love so dearly. Warren's grandparents Marian and Chick or as we know them, Farmor and Farfar...the "Fars." I met them both eight years ago this weekend on Easter Sunday at their lovely home and I felt exactly that...home. They have always shown an outpouring of love toward me and I honestly could not have asked for more loving grandparents. I love this picture of them. I am captivated by it because it somehow captures a little bit of what makes them so special and what I hope to become some day. Every year they host this amazing party to take down the tree. Anyone who knows me well has heard about it and I am thrilled to have gotten so many pictures from Warren's cousin, Tess today. It is really unbelievable.
Farfar and Mike (Warren's cousin)

Farfar and his only daughter, Colleen. They both have beautiful voices and I love to hear them sing together. (They are both the only ones who can flawlessly sing the Swedish songs and lead the rambunctious group.)
After everyone dances around the tree, all the kids put on a blindfold and find candy presents on the tree.
Here are the cousins enjoying their Swedish fish and other treats.
Dancing around the tree. It was so crowded!
My beautiful sister-in-law, Amber following Farfar very closely.

Somehow he manages to sing loud enough for everyone to hear.
This song has many verses, each has actions depicting a profession.
This part of the song is the old man snorting snuff...nice;)

The first tree party I went to I looked around and thought, "Is this for real? Do families really do this?" The answer is no....just THIS family. I felt like I was in a movie and I have been in love with this tradition ever since.
It is so crowded that the best place for the kids to play is on the dangerously steep staircase.

This is another classic "Fars" shot. Every party starts out with Chick welcoming everyone and Farmor warmly smiling around at all of their family.

The lovely dining room table

If you find a spot at the party...STAY THERE or else you won't get another chance to sit comfortably.
Granny and Justin performing a lovely Teach me to Walk in the Light duet.

Everyone was smiling at the little performers. There's something about sweet kids putting themselves out there that is so adorable.
This is my sweet father-in-law, Miles.
We named Clayton after him and he has a special place in my heart. One thing I love about him is seeing how much he loves his grand kids. He is always happy to be around them and he usually ends up right on the floor at the bottom of a doggy pile. He is also amazingly talented at the guitar and singing. I am so jealous of his sharp ear and how quickly he can pick up something new.
I love this picture of my mother-in-law Claudia just busting a gut! She is so quick to laugh and tells very entertaining stories. She is also an essential part of the tree party by always leading the Hokie Pokie after all the Swedish songs. The one year she stayed home sick and Alex took over her job it wasn't pretty...he went straight from put your "left arm in" to "whole self!" Come on, now! That's just insanity!
Krissy was not going to stand for any of Warren's taunting for talents. Good job standing firm Krissy. Now one will mess with that karate chop!
"Krissy, Krissy, Krissy!"

The boys always sing Snoopy's Christmas. It is really cute. They all have a little part. One of them jingles the bells, and another says, "Merry Christmas mine friends" at a certain part of the song. It is so cute because they've been doing it since they were tiny. I love it! Warren's clearly taking it very seriously.

Baby Sarah was a dancin' fool. Anytime the music started she would just start dancing. It was so cute. Like mother like daughter I guess;)


Farmor loves the little kids.
When Blake was a tiny baby we were always over at their house...I miss that.


I think we were singing the "Lollipop Tree" in this picture.

Cute Natalie
Justin and Courtney

1 comment: