Monday, November 9, 2009

So smart it is SCARY!

Two funny stories from Adventures of Blakie-Sitting:
Story 1:

Like all three year olds, Blake struggles with listening to simple instructions from Mom and Dad. After asking him in the nicest way I could manage about 6 times to simply pick up the blocks, I reminded him that Santa will only bring toys to good girls and boys who listen. I continued, "If you keep having trouble listening to Mommy, then I'll have to write a letter to Santa and tell him that you need to start listening better before he can bring you any new toys."

Blake responded by saying, "Well... MAKO will write a letter to Santa that says, 'Still bring toys to naughty boys!'"

All I could do was laugh!
I guess he thinks Mako's in better standing with the Jolly Man up north...maybe he's right;)
Story 2:
While preparing for a Father/Son camping trip to Hole in the Rock last weekend, Blake was again having problems listening to me. I quickly devised a plan to show him visually how well he was listening and scribbled two columns on scratch paper to keep a tally of Listening and Not Listening. I explained that every time he was being a good listener, I would put a mark on the side with a happy face, and when he was not listening well, I would put a mark in the frowny column. If he had more marks in the Happy/Listening Column by the time Daddy came home, then he would get to go camping.
Right out of the gate, I had to put two marks on Frowny. I told him, "If Daddy were to come home right now, you wouldn't be able to go camping because you have more marks in the Not Listening side. You have to start listening right when Mommy asks you to do something so that you can have more marks on the Happy/Listening side so you can go camping with Daddy."
I left the room for a moment and Blake came in holding the paper with a big grin on his face and a green marker in his hand..."I can go camping now, Mom."
He was pretty disappointed when I explained that only MY marks would count in the tally.
(This picture was taken later in the day when I realized I had to post about how clever he is) Blake ended up listening very well and earned his camping weekend with the boys.
Here are the only two pictures that made it home from the trip....but they sure are cute!
I couldn't believe how quiet the house was without Blake. I missed my sweet husband and little Firecracker so much that it is nice to have them home safe and sound.
Even Clayton seemed to miss his brother and didn't sleep well without all the noise!
Today he finally took a decent nap.

1 comment:

  1. I love Story 1. Tell Blake he is always welcomed to my house so that we can write to Santa or we can even call Santa. I have unlimited call :) (not sure if that includes North Pole...) I love smart Blakey.

    ReplyDelete